Monday, July 06, 2009

Cherry Blossoms is a film of great sensibility

photocredit

I recently viewed the film, Cherry Blossom by Doris Dorrie, an independent German filmmaker. The film touched me so profoundly that I saw it three times and found it to be the equivalent of a "Buddhist slap." While it deals with the tragedy of human relationships and our blundering inability to be present with and for the ones we love, it is not depressing. It's final message is that by entering grief and journeying through it we can find spiritual insight to connect with selfless love. We are all condemned to the sorrows of temporal existence but ultimately aesthetic beauty and acceptance of natural cycles of life and death lead us to transcendence. The film is enhanced by gorgeous cinematography, music and Butoh dance.

After seeing the film I looked for reviews and was disappointed that by and large it's spiritual depth was overlooked and that it was panned as a "feminist" movie perhaps because in this misogynistic era a woman produced it. There were no polemics in what I would call the Buddhist perspective of the film.I saw every character in the film as representing a different aspect of myself. It's really quite remarkable and I encourage all of you to see it. I assure you, you will look more carefully at the ones you love after you see it.

This is a snippet of a review that I did like," With her newest Japan film, “Cherry Blossoms” (which has its New York theatrical premiere on Friday), Ms. Dörrie reconfigures the wrenching parent-child tensions of “Tokyo Story,” the 1953 masterpiece of Yasujiro Ozu. Departing from the formal rigors of Ozu’s postwar reconstruction drama, Ms. Dörrie brings her trademark empathy and humor to the plight of an elderly Bavarian couple. Trudi and Rudi (Hannelore Elsner and Elmar Wepper) visit a son and daughter in Berlin who are too distracted by family and work to give their parents their due. The indignities continue in Tokyo, where Rudi is ignored by an expatriate son and, as consolation, nurtures a surrogate relationship with a teenage Butoh dancer.

Doris Dorrie is a very gifted filmmaker and I look forward to seeing other films she has made and will follow her in the future.

Note: film trailer in my video bar on right side of blog

If you like this post than visit Japonisme.

4 comments:

Cergie said...

German films are not so frequent, and must be seen absolutely ; "Good by Lenin" is a very good one made in Berlin for instance. I did not see 'Cherry Blossoms' already, I would like to now, because you love it so luch.
I read it is like a painting of Hokusai.
(My daughter has lived and studied during two years in Berlin...)

here I am! said...

hey princess saw your comment on my blog...yes I am having a busy and good time.
I wonder if the move you talk of here is on netflix?

Diane Dehler said...

Thanks for the suggestion Cergie. Diva yes, it's on netflix.

lotusgreen said...

hi princess-- yes, i had you in an open window, awaiting my attention!

this sounds incredibly intriguing. moving. timely.

i thought at first glance that it was related to that film i mentioned a little while back about a courtesan in edo period named sakura, but upon further reading i see it's not remotely like that at all.

i just noticed too that there is a film of 'i am a cat' that i want to see too.