Friday, March 07, 2008

In the mood for something gorgeous, said Princess Haiku




Falling asleep and awakening to discover one is in a poetic journal. The only medium of desire or expression is metaphor. Or one is lost on a desert and the only water
that suffices is a need to hear a particular musical phrase. This music- this ravishing work of art, dance, sculpture and not another. Earlier, I discovered some videos of Sylvie Guillem dancing. Her dancing temporarily took me into that place I go when my senses are overwhelmed with beauty. In this mood I am not particularly interested in why an artist wanted to create, perform, write, compose etc -only that they did.

The art itself is liquid fire; amber dripping from the heart of the oracle, and transforming into a dragonfly. Later, I may be convinced to engage in intellectual discourse. I suppose that this is a poetic discourse but it feels like it has flesh and bones.

Tonight, I was briefly transported by the dancing of a Sylvie Guillem. She was the protegee of the late Rudolf Nurevev, former director of the Paris Opera Ballet. His influence is apparent; a certain languid, almost feline grace.







This is a revisitation of a post I enjoyed writing.

4 comments:

Jackie said...

When I was very young I saw Rudolf Nurenev dance with Margot Fontein and he was amazing. Sylvie could not have had a better mentor.

Diane Dehler said...

Oh, lucky you. What dance did you see? If I could time travel to see 3 three great performances I would see Margo and Rudolf dance Romeo and Juliet. I have seen the film and that is exquisite, itself. There is a magnetism and charisma in live performances that transport one.

Anonymous said...

dear Princess Haiku...
noticed your interest in ballet...
artist Jamie Wyeth (son of Andrew, grandson of N.C. Wyeth, the great children's literature illustrator)usually paints in the american primitive style, however! when I was back at the Brandywine Museum in 2003, there was an exhibition of his " striking portraits of Rudolf Nureyev "
see: http://www.brandywinemuseum.org/collect.html#Wyeths

hope you enjoy....
HighlandRose@aol.com

Anonymous said...

sorry...me again...here is a better link to Wyeth's art

http://artsedge.kennedy-center.org/exploring/ballet/nw/lessons/cuesheet1.pdf

BTW, it is a PDF so need Acrobat
or Foxit...

Rosie