Sunday, January 25, 2009

Princess Haiku's "to do" List before the Solar Eclipse 2009


Solar Eclipse of 2009
via gumtree


Shining light into the heart of Aquarius
surge of primal and electric energy


To do list before the solar elcipse 2009


1) pull the washtub into the snowy yard to collect returning light
2) leave a dancing snow angel behind, first impressions you know
3) pull hair into elegant chigon with metallic silver comb
4) open a bottle of cranberry fizzy and fill the fountain
5) quick pull off the wrapper of the new yellow folder
6) fetch Helene's mont blanc pen
7) dip into spirit ink
8) write the first ten pages of the new prose novel in silence
7) just wait, just wait, just wait, until the first spill of new light
8) when the selkie pelt rearranges secrets
9) then jump into the white tub
10) and bathe in Aquarian light



History of the Chignon



The chignon can be traced back to Ancient Greece, where Athenian women commonly wore the style with gold or ivory handcrafted hairpins[2]. Athenian men wore the style as well, but they fastened their chignons with a clasp of "golden grasshoppers," according to "The History of the Peloponnesian War," by Thucydides[3]. The chignon was specific to Athens, as other city states, such as Sparta and Cyprus, had their own style of hairdressing. The chignon was also popular in Ancient China, where married women wore the low, knotted hairstyle. Presently, the chignon is still popular because of its association with French elegance.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, Princess,

Well, I'm told the next full Solar Eclipse visible from Texas will be in 2023. I guess that gives me plenty of time to work on my checklist!

Have a lovely, Solar day!

goatman said...

Thinking while reading, I wondered how "chignon", a french-sounding word, would attach to such historic arrangements of hair.
Now you have opened the box!

lotusgreen said...

i'm loving your poetry, your stream-of-consciousness, and your moonlight

Diane Dehler said...

You will have to hang on that list. Lots of time for revision.

Thank you lotusgreen. It wasn't written as poetry but it is poetic. Must have been that eclipsing light. :)

Cergie said...

My mother had so long hair (until her feet) she was Vietnamese; and yet, she xwas able to do a chignon without any hairpin. When she died 5 years ago, I let my hair become long, and braid it during two years. Then I cut it : I have come out of mourning....

Marion said...

Fascinating post about the chignon. I had no idea the style, which is really timeless, was that old! It's the simplest way to wear my hair, for sure.

Anonymous said...

I am not going to be original this time, so all I am going to say that your blog rocks, sad that I don't have suck a writing skills