Monday, June 04, 2007

a magic bench that can conjure lost ones




This is a special bench for it conjures those we long to have one last conversation with. I saw a beloved sister sitting there, who has been a missing person now for half of my life. If you close your eyes you will hear the intimacy in our tone, the soft hum of our conversation- just audible above the wind. As the wind blows it weaves our long hair together; strands of wheat color and dark honey. When my eye sought out this bench it knew that it was seeing a portal to the other world. There are moments when we brush up against the past so closely, that for a lingering moment, we belong to it again. Then, like a transparent butterfly moving to a new flower- we fly up and on. Joy and sorrow is always in the same breath.

10 comments:

Peter Haslam said...

I enjoy coming and sharing your vision of beauty and how you touch the chords of my heart. Thank you

VW said...

Princess, what a touching post. I hold many friends in my heart that I have not seen in a long time and may never see again. But their spirits are still in my heart, even if their bodies are forever elsewhere.

Thanks.

Bobby D. said...

this is really nice. very sweet and tender.

Indeterminacy said...

That is lovely and poetic. It reminds me of a radio play "The Man Who Was Tomorrow" - a radio play which had the same effect on me.

Elli said...

I need to find myself a bench like that! You're lucky to have it. But then again, maybe it's not a question of luck. Beautiful!

Diane Dehler said...

Indi-that was a very interesting radio play. I don't know how you find these unusual things.

Indeterminacy said...

I was interested in old time radio in the lat 70's, after hearing some programs in a high school class (Jack Benny, Our Miss Brooks, The Shadow, etc). Later I sometimes ordered records or tapes from some of the companies selling otr - the description for this particular program was compelling: a classic, must hear, etc.

I have a couple of other recordings of Radio Guild presentations, but most of this series hasn't been preserved.

Indeterminacy said...

P.S. If you would like to find some brilliant radio, look at "Quiet Please" - a modern classic.

Diane Dehler said...

Thanks for the link, Indy.

Naomi said...

This was a wonderful spiritual post Princess. It's always good to have a quiet special place to come to, like this bench. A special place where we can remember the loved ones we hold dear in our hearts.